3 Things That Make Me Smile
- My daughter at gymnastics class. Sometimes she just runs around the gym not really paying attention to the instructions, and other times she really gets into learning about the different events. Either way, she’s adorable and obviously having a lot of fun.
- My husband when he cooks. My husband and I don’t like to cook much, but I think it’s sweet when he makes pasta for our daughter. It’s her favorite.
- Completing a drawing I feel good about. It’s hard not to be critical of your own work, so it’s a great feeling when you create something you’re actually proud of.
3 People That Inspire Me
- My husband with his amazing people skills. He’s very kind and approachable. He can talk to anyone and make them feel comfortable.
- My dad because I’m pretty sure he’s Superman. He was a single parent with a demanding job, yet he would come home and make these amazing dinners. I come home from work and order a pizza.
- My friend, Travis, and his ambition and drive. Travis always had big dreams, and unlike most people, he follows through. Just being in his presence ignites a fire in my belly to pursue my own dreams.
3 Things I’m Proud Of
- My recovery. I stay on top of my treatment and try not to let schizoaffective disorder slow me down. I have a lot I want to do, and I can’t have mental health symptoms get in the way.
- My family. I’m very close to my family – not just my daughter and husband. My family is relatively small and very tight-knit. We’ve had our ups and downs, but we always pull through together.
- My career. I’ve always had a lot going on, and in many ways my work defines me. It took me a long time to finish my degree, but I consider it one of my biggest accomplishments. I’ve done a lot of work to become a better artist and writer, and my current position at NPI Space for the Arts is challenging and rewarding. I feel like I’m right where I need to be right now.